web counter
Loralee's Looney Tunes Reviews

About Me

Picture of Loralee Choate

Loralee Choate

Welcome to my review site I do my own reviews and compensated reviews and you will NEVER be confused which is which.

Main Blog
View Profile


 

 

 

Brian of Joy

Friday, March 03, 2006

This is my good friend, Brian Joy. This photo was taken on the day we first met.

I rarely refer to him as just "Brian". It has to be "Brian Joy". I'm not sure why. As my sister, Linny once said, "Brian Joy has befallen the same fate as my co-worker, Lily Woo."

Brian and I know exactly the date we met and became friends. My baby shower for James was held one day after he was born and he came to it with an acquaintance from the music department who was in love with him.

unfortunately for Brian, the person in love with him was a girl, so it created complications.

He caught my eye with his shower gift. I thought it was rather brave to give a stranger a diaper filled with chocolate that was labeled, "Chalka-Cacca". FUNNY. Which says a lot as I am no lover of excrement.

Brian has a very "Colorful" wardrobe. I have threatened more than once to call "Queer Eye for the Gay Guy" to come and burn most of his wardrobe. I tried once, but I think he managed to hide the above sweater from me, dammit.

This is him now, wearing his ever peace-loving-leftist BLING:

I love this guy so much. We have been friends for over 9 years and he has been through a whole lot of crap with me . LOTS of good times as well. I thought so highly of him that he was the only non-family to participate in Matthews Funeral. I had him read a poem (Introduced in typical high Brian Joy style as "By the 19th century poetess, Emily Dickenson")

Brian is also forced to watch a hud-load of bad film with me. Embarrassing to admit, but while I love a LOT of good film, I am always drawn to the badies as well (When Brian was a film critic for the Valley Channel, he kept threatening to do a segment called, "Loralee's Lemons"). Here are a list of his top FAVORITES with me:

Blair Witch Project
Old School
Ghost Ship
Ring 1 AND 2 (The first one scared the shit out of me. I made him come into my house, I turned on EVERY LIGHT in the house, made him turn around while I got into PJ's and then dove under my covers. THEN I let him leave!)

He also says he can always tell when I am going to ask him to do something he will absolutely DESPISE (Like helping my parents move their year's worth of wheat storage) because I have a "TONE".

I have re-created it for you all to enjoy:
this is an audio post - click to play

He is always a gentleman, he walks me to my door, we walk arm in arm everywhere (We have had more than one person ask if we're married), I adore his sweet family-I call his parents Mom and Dad Joy and his sister, Sherry is just a gem. They decorate for every single holiday (They have pristine family drawings from his great great grandmother, I swear). CHRISTMAS (Due to the name) looks like it barfs on their house (In a good way)...they even change all the china and decorations in their 300 hutches.

I just love him to death.

I'm so glad he's my friend.

Hey, since I've already outed him to the whole world, if you are an unattached guy and want his number, give me a holler.

He's a keeper.

12 Comments :

  • At 3:06 PM , Blogger Karen said...

    I realize he's pretty much all the way out but this should get his right big toe to join him!

     
  • At 3:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Or his "left" Bwah ha ha ha

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Umm...Thanks...I think?... "Stop...I'm blushing!" "No, really...on a scale of 1-to-10, YOU are an ELEVEN!" to quote Iago and Jafar in Walt Disney's version of ALADDIN.

    By the way, the poem actually WASN'T by the sublimely wonderful (I added that part just now...) 19th century poetess Emily Dickenson (the closest I could find was poem #54 in the Thomas Johnson edition of THE COMPLETE POEMS OF EMILY DICKENSON); that was a huge editorial mistake in your book. Rather, it was a similar poem called "Ascension" by the contemporary poetess Colleen Corah Hitchcock. I know YOU know that, but I just wanted to make certain THEY knew it, too.

    Love ya tons right back!!!

    Brian

     
  • At 9:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just a few additional thoughts:

    I was just reading this entry to the above-mentioned "gem"-of-a-sister Sherry, and she said that your "tone" needs to be "a little higher." I completely concur...like about 3 octaves...OK, maybe not THREE...

    I thought "Choca-Caca" was a safe joke gift as I'd never met you...funny how different perceptions can be on the same thing...and also, I thought: "Who WOULDN'T love chocolate...and a free diaper?!"

    Yes, I still have the sweater. I like it. So there...PHFFTTT!!! As you've said before, I'm either in black, or I look as if a box of crayons vomitted on me (no, not the wimpy 8 box...the giant 64 box). What can I say...besides that I know you're nieces love that psycho-smile look in that photo...

    I still love you...even if you don't like my sweaters...

    Brian

     
  • At 2:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Loralee! I also love that Brian Joy -- can't find a better friend than him anywhere! Ditto on Mom and Dad Joy and Sherry, too!

    Teresa

     
  • At 12:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How can I resist commenting! Yes, we always call him "Brian Joy," never just Brian. He's in desperate need of a fashion make-over--though thank-fully Brian cut off his long blond tail at the end of the 20th century. Also, I had no idea that we met Brian on the same day--I assumed that anyone who would bring you a poopy chocolate diaper, must be a close friend!
    Also, since I'm sure You, Brian Joy, will read this, thanks for pretending to be my husband at your 10 year High School reunion. Since I'm not always sure I want to claim my own dear spouse, and as Loralee says, you are so gentlemanly, I appreciate the favor. If only I was male, 6' 6" and very good looking I could pretend to be your date now!
    Love,
    Amy

     
  • At 10:29 AM , Blogger Dianna said...

    Tell Brian that Dianna from Pensacola says hello.

     
  • At 2:54 PM , Blogger Loralee Choate said...

    Wow, this is cool. I'll be sure to let him know! He is on my blog all the time, so feel free to comment if you like.

     
  • At 8:51 PM , Blogger Loralee Choate said...

    Ok, I told Brian. He says "HI" he didn't know where you posted on my blog, but I am kicking his butt to get over here!

    I also know Will, and heard you guys were pals, too.

    Cool.

    Loralee

     
  • At 11:28 PM , Anonymous Brian said...

    Dear Dianna,

    "HOLY COW! Martini Ranch!!" (I have that album on CD, by the way. Actually, I think of you every time I play that album.) How are you?! I'm flattered you looked for me. What are you up to? Maybe Lo can help us figure out how to communicate without divulging our e-mail addresses to her entire readership...THAT could be scary!!! It's so good to hear from you. We'll have to figure it out. Until then, though, have a groovin' rest-of-the-week!

    By the way, that sweater mocked in this particular post was purchased down in Alabama, so you may have seen it before...

    Love,

    Brian (As you can see, I still give my inner hippie free reign...)

     
  • At 11:41 PM , Anonymous Brian said...

    One last note, I must have been on crack or something...it's Emily DickINson, not Emily DickENson...EEEKKK!!! What was up with that?!! Do forgive me, oh great one of Amherst...

     
  • At 7:51 PM , Blogger Dianna said...

    Sooo Brian, you had a birthday a few weeks ago. That makes you what older than dirt now. Or is it just 37? Same difference. Did you do anything special? I tried to email Loralee. I hope it went through and she can forward my address on to you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Dianna

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home